POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Check this out ... : Re: Check this out ... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:43:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Check this out ...
From: Ron Parker
Date: 21 Oct 1998 13:11:41
Message: <362e07bd.0@news.povray.org>
On 21 Oct 1998 09:29:49 -0500, Ron Parker <par### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:

>Something to think about: what happens if you render an image at say 14800x300,
>using a camera with an angle of 370 degrees, then stick it in a 400x300 window
>(with a scrollbar at the bottom)  If I'm thinking right, you'll get a
>10-degree-wide view of a panoramic scene, and you can look around by scrolling
>left and right.  Ideally, of course, you'd want to do some perspective
>correction on-the-fly, necessitating a plugin or some Java code, but if you
>keep your viewing angle small it shouldn't make much difference.

Turns out 10 degrees is too narrow an angle.  I tried it with a little over 55
degrees (a 2900x300 image) and it looks great.  If you'd like to see it, point
your HTML 4.0 compatible browser (IE 4 and above; sorry, NS 4.0x won't cut it,
nor, surprisingly, will Amaya) at http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/pantest.html .
(I guess I do have a working IE after all...)  The image is nothing to write
home about, but the technique is stunning.